Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics


My demographic would happen to be a Millennial, also called Generation Y or the echo boomers. Born between 1977 and 2000, these children of the baby boomers number 83 million, dwarfing the Gen Xers and larger even than the baby boomer segment. This group includes tweens (aged 9–12), teens (13–18), and young adults (19–32). With total purchasing power of more than $733 billion, the Millennials make up a huge and attractive market. I was born in 1990, so I’m just around the middle to last generation of Millenians.  

One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology; it’s a way of life. Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more with the previous statement. I had always thought of how for me Technology was a given feature, I don’t think about it, I kind of just do it. Also I feel praised for having a niche at just picking something and learn it with ease, without being afraid of failure like older generations. A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users.

Marketers of all kinds now target the Millennial; however, the Millennials are bombarded with marketing messages coming at them from all directions. And rather than having mass marketing messages pushed at them, they prefer to seek out information and engage in two-way brand conversations. Thus, reaching these message-saturated consumers effectively requires creative marketing approaches. Yet again another clear example of how accurate my description is. I do see a lot of ads targeted directly to me almost to a point that they are trying to talk to me in particular. However I am very good at personally talking face to face to get my message delivered and to successfully listen to absorb what is being sent to me. Due to this nature I fall easy for a good salesman, but only very creative advertisement gets through to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment